Your email is one of the greatest assets you have for gaining new customers. You can “show off” your products, services, and most importantly yourself to other people. I’m sure you realize the benefits of using commenting on blogs, social networking sites, etc. And I’m equally sure that you know how important it is to build your email list. My advice: forget about going viral and start focusing on building an email list and infecting them with your awesomeness! So what’s the best email service for bloggers?
If you are a blogger or run an online business, you may need to use email service providers. To pick the right one for your company, here are some of the best choices above. You can also learn a lot of useful tips on how to make the most out of each service.
What is email marketing?
In simple terms, email marketing is when you reach out to your readers via email to send messages, provide value, and promote your products or services. It allows you to build a relationship with your readers, share new blog posts, and market your blog through emails.
To get started, you usually need to create a pop-up, slide in form, landing page, or other method to collect emails. The most effective way to do this is to offer something of value to your readers, such as a checklist, cheatsheet, training, or other free resource in exchange for their email.
Once you have a list of emails, you can communicate in a couple of ways. For one, you could send one-off emails to your list, often known as broadcasts. With a broadcast, you might make an announcement or share a new blog post with your subscribers.
You can also often set up automated sequences, sending out a series of pre-written emails over several days whenever a new subscriber signs up. With this approach, you can “set it and forget” and ideally make sales or earn affiliate commissions on autopilot.
Whatever methods you choose, communicating regularly with your list will help readers develop a stronger connection to you and your blog.
Now that you know what email marketing is and how it could benefit your blogging career, consider the following factors to select the best email marketing service for your blog.
If you’re a beginner blogger, you want to choose the most affordable email marketing tool out there, without compromising on quality. Don’t worry, there are free email marketing services for those on a very tight budget, though they typically have some restrictions.
Ease of use
You want a digital marketing service that doesn’t require advanced tech skills. The easier it is to use, the better.
The best email marketing platform should have features that are geared toward helping you succeed. Some features to consider include form and landing page templates, broadcasts, email sequences, and automations.
It’s important to choose an email marketing software that guarantees deliverability.
If a reader shares their email to download a freebie from your site, you don’t want them to have to wait hours before they receive it. Nor do you want your emails getting lost in their spam folder.
Make sure to choose email marketing software that actually delivers your email to the intended contacts – and fast!
ActiveCampaign is a leading email marketing service known for having the best balance between functionality and affordability.
This tool is top of our best email marketing services list before it has an extremely rich feature-set that goes beyond email marketing. It has an incredibly powerful visual automation builder – one of the best I’ve tested.
When it comes to the core emailing functionality, you have all the features you need. For example; you can choose from a selection of email templates, or design your own with a drag and drop editor.
You have several options for sending your campaign emails; one-off emails, timed campaigns, automated emails, RSS-based, A/B testing, or auto-responder.
ActiveCampaign has a lot to offer in terms of contact management. You get plenty of ways to filter contacts, and full history of how your contacts have interacted with you – this works in sync with their site & event tracking functionality. List cleaning functionality is included, which can also be done via automation sequences.
Segmenting your email list is easy, and you have access to advanced functionality such as A/B testing and dynamic content. These two features alone can help you get more opens, clicks, and conversions.
Balancing functionality, price, and performance, ActiveCampaign is the best all-round email marketing service.
ActiveCampaign’s offering is configured in such a way that it makes industry-leading marketing automation available to content creators and small businesses, while supporting larger businesses with enterprise-specific functionality.
You’ll find user accounts available for your team, live chat, on-site messaging, custom domains, CRM & sales automation, and plenty more.
- Powerful marketing automation – ActiveCampaign has one of the most feature-rich visual automation builders around.
- Large library of automation sequences saves you time & effort – Don’t waste your time building long automation sequences from scratch. Import pre-made sequences you can edit in moments.
- Site & event tracking – Automate your email marketing based on triggering of events, and how your visitors interact with your website.
- Inclusive live chat functionality – Add live chat to your website in minutes that connects to your automation sequences easily. Use mobile apps to reply to live chat messages on the go.
Plans start at $9/month (paid yearly) for their lite plan which includes all the important email & automation features most people will need. Increase your plan to unlock site messaging, custom domains, CRM, SMS marketing, and more.
ConvertKit is an email marketing service with a strong-focus on bloggers & content creators.
Most services focus on trying to please everyone. ConvertKit doesn’t. Instead, they cater to the needs of a specific audience – bloggers & content creators.
The result is a well-crafted tool that is incredibly simple to use. You get the all important features such as visual automation, with the addition of opt-in sign up forms & landing pages. While you’ll get more mileage out of a dedicated landing page builder, it’s a nice option to have for building your email list.
Simple reporting gives you a good top level view of how your forms are performing, and how your email list is growing overall, and tagging/segmentation is extremely easy.
You can add email sequences, then pull them into the visual automation builder. You can do the same with forms too. With most email marketing services, you’d need to jump between these options, but you can open both directly while editing your automations.
Given ConvertKit’s simplicity, there are some limitations. For example, filtering your subscribers isn’t as easy as other services, there’s no spam scoring, and there’s no visual drag and drop builder as such.
But, if you’re new to email marketing and you’re after simplicity without sacrificing powerful email automation functionality, be sure to give ConvertKit a try.
- Simple user interface – The interface makes it easy for you to get your email list started without much of a learning curve.
- Powerful but simple visual automation – If you’re a beginner to email marketing, you’ll appreciate the simplicity. That said, you can do quite a lot with their email automation builder.
- Ideal for those with multiple lead magnets – Each form or landing page you create can deliver a different lead magnet.
- Opt-in forms and landing pages included – Create opt-in sign up forms and landing pages without needing any other tools.
A free plan is available for up to 1,000 subscribers but does not include visual automations or email marketing sequences. Paid plans start from $29/month for up to 1,000 subscribers and unlimited email sends.
Drip position themselves as an ecommerce CRM, and while they do that job incredibly well, they are one of the all-round best email marketing services I’ve tested.
Create drip email campaigns, individual broadcasts, or use their robust visual automation builder. One particularly great feature is the ability to split test within automations.
You can send simple emails that do a good job of getting out of the promotions tab, or use their visual email builder for branded emails.
They have plenty of reporting functionality available. And for those of you with ecommerce sites, you’ll find ecommerce specific reports that are actually useful.
Even if you’re not running an ecommerce site, Drip is well worth testing out. Hands down, it’s one of my favourite email marketing platforms.
- Robust email automation with split testing – Drip’s visual automation builder is straight-forward to use and allows you to split-test your automations directly.
- Power more sites for less – If you run multiple sites Drip becomes far more affordable. Instead of having to purchase individual accounts for each site, you can simply add a secondary user account to your main account.
- A strong-focus on ecommerce – Drip’s feature set uniquely caters to ecommerce sites, and has ecommerce specific reporting.
- On-site tracking for complete history – Like some other services on this list, you get a full view of everything your subscribers do on your website, and can use that data to build out your email automation sequences.
Plans start from $19/month for 500 subscribers and unlimited email sends.
MailerLite is another user-friendly email marketing service that’s great for bloggers and online business owners. It’s a little more affordable than ConvertKit, and it offers even more templates for designing your email.
However, it doesn’t have quite as many options when it comes to categorizing your subscribers, nor does it have as many advanced automation features.
To learn more, head to my in-depth MailerLite review.
Pros of MailerLite
- Offers affordable pricing, including a free plan that allows up to 1,000 subscribers
- Has lots of well-designed email templates to snazz up your emails
- Provides a variety of form templates, as well as the option to place forms in different places on your site
- Allows you to set up email automations
Cons of MailerLite
- Doesn’t offer chat support on the free plan
- Doesn’t have as robust subscriber tagging or email automation features as some other services
- Has a longer sign-up process than some other sites that requires approval before you can email more than 500 subscribers
Although MailerLite may not have as powerful features as ConvertKit, its pricing is a little easier on the wallet, making it a solid choice for new bloggers.
Moosend is an all-in-one marketing platform that offers email marketing, landing pages, automation, and plenty of integrations.
It’s an excellent choice for bloggers and online business owners with its easy, drag-and-drop design tools and affordable pricing structure. While some email marketing platforms are tough to learn, Moosend has a straightforward user experience that anyone can pick up.
With this platform, you can design customized newsletters, build your email list, and automate emails. You can either build your own email automation or use one of Moosend’s “recipes,” or pre-built automation templates.
You choose the trigger that starts the email automation, specify the steps, and set the actions. For example, you can send out a series of emails when someone subscribes to a form, or even send “abandoned cart” messages to remind someone to check out.
You can learn more about Moosend in my in-depth review here. Or keep reading for a closer look at its pros and cons.
Pros of Moosend
- Intuitive drag-and-drop builder makes it easy to design beautiful newsletters, forms and landing pages without knowing any code
- Landing page builder tools allow you to design custom pages to increase sign-ups and conversions
- Automation tools and templates let you set up pre-written series of emails to send to subscribers after they take a certain action
- Opt-in forms that you can customize to increase sign-ups and grow your email list
- List segmentation options to tag and categorize your subscribers based on certain identifying features or behaviors (e.g., when they subscribed, who abandoned a cart, etc.)
- Reporting tools that give insight into all the important analytics of your email marketing efforts
- Customer support that includes phone support with each paid plan, live chat, email, informative webinars, and a large knowledge base. Plus, custom enterprise plans have their own account manager.
- Affordable pricing that beats many of the other competitors on this list, as well as a free plan for up to 1,000 subscribers
- Integrations with lots of other apps and platforms
Cons of Moosend
- Doesn’t offer phone support on the free plan
- Free plan doesn’t include landing pages
- Some Moosend reviewers have said the dashboard can load slowly at times
Moosend is one of the most affordable email marketing platforms out there. Not only does it offer a free plan for lists of fewer than 1,000 subscribers, but its paid plans start at just $8/month when paid annually.
The price goes to $44 per month for up to 10,000 subscribers and $100 per month for 10,000 to 25,000 subscribers. You can also request a custom enterprise plan for your business with a dedicated account manager.
As a blogger the most important thing you need is a way to communicate with your readers. People want to know who you are and what you have to say. Depending on your blog, this could be done via a blog post, comments or direct email. Regardless of how you chose to communicate, one thing is for certain: your audience wants to communicate with you. Your email service is where they go if they have questions or comments. You should not only focus on getting more people to your site, but also on keeping them there and making sure they keep coming back.