Whether they are reading your emails or not, you should be sending them. The best emails for small business’ are quite simple. They should be used to promote whatever you’re selling and give some value to what you’re promoting. That’s it. Your email doesn’t have to have a creative concept that has been designed by a designer. It doesn’t have to have the right colors or fonts (unless you want it to). You just need something creative enough so that your potential customers or clients see the value of what you are providing them and then actually listen to what you have to say next (aka click on any link you provide in the email).
Wondering what are some of the best emails to send to customers in your small business? Check out our list of email templates and examples geared towards small business campaigns.
Google Workspace: Best Business Email Provider Overall
What We Like
- Month-to-month plans that can be canceled anytime
- Very easy to set up and use with a beginner-friendly admin console
- Industry-leading security features and controls
- Business productivity and collaboration tools included
- Tons of apps and integrations available
- High storage limits on all plans
- No unlimited storage on any plan, unlike Bluehost
- Domain must be purchased separately, unlike Bluehost or IONOS
- 25MB max attachment limit; Microsoft 365 allows up to 150MB and Zoho Mail allows up to 1GB
- Teams that work collaboratively
- Small businesses wanting to use Gmail for business email
- Businesses that need ultra-reliable business email and productivity tools in-one
- Beginners who need a business email up quickly
Starting price: $6 per monthVisit Google Workspace
Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) is the supercharged version of Gmail for business use. It includes professional email using your domain name and comes packed with modern productivity and collaboration tools. For example, you get software from Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides to advanced admin control and hundreds of the best third-party email apps and tools for just $6 per user, per month.
Interested in learning more about how Gmail compares to Outlook when it comes to business email services? Check out our head-to-head comparison on Gmail vs Outlook.
Google Workspace Pricing & Plan Features
|Business Starter||Business Standard||Business Plus|
|Price per User/Month||$6||$12||$18|
|Storage per User||30GB||2TB||5TB|
|Attachment Limit (Sending)||25MB||25MB||25MB|
|Attachment Limit (Receiving)||50MB||50MB||50MB|
|Productivity & Collaboration Tools (Docs, Calendar, Sheets, etc.)||✔||✔||✔|
|Video Meetings Participant Limit||100||150||500|
|Security Features & Controls||Standard||Standard||Premium|
Google Workspace has a ton of amazing features that make it one of the best email providers, which means all of its features are pretty solid. However, here are some features to take note of:
- Top-notch collaboration and productivity tools: Aside from the ubiquitous Gmail, Google Workspace comes with a variety of advanced tools like Docs, Sheets, a shared calendar, and video conferencing. It’s an excellent choice for teams that need to collaborate on tasks.
- Inclusive features: Google Workspace is one of the easiest business email service providers to use, as its plans come with everything you need to set up your professional email along with the extra features we mentioned above. It’s perfect for beginners who need advanced productivity features, unlike Amazon WorkMail, which is more complicated to navigate.
- High storage limits: Gmail’s starting plan has 30GB per user, which is already more than enough storage for the average person. You can easily upgrade to 2TB to 5TB per user by purchasing their more premium plans. This makes Gmail one of the top providers in terms of storage.
Our Expert Opinion
Google Workspace’s plans that include Gmail for business email start at $6 a month. These feature-rich plans are very affordable, especially as they also come with industry-leading collaboration and productivity apps. Shared docs, spreadsheets, presentations, calendars, and video conferencing make it the best email provider for just about any small business, especially for collaborative teams.
Gmail for business is the most intuitive, useful, and efficient emailing application with more than 2 billion active users worldwide. Google Workspace provides a secure and ad-free email experience and offers smart replies. Gmail has advanced grammar and spell-check capabilities. The application It enables you to access Gmail offline by using Google Chrome browser.
- The software enables you to connect with other people via Google Meet and Chat.
- This professional email address works with other software like Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Apple Mail.
- It provides nudges that help you to follow up and respond to messages.
- Gmail blocks phishing emails automatically.
- You can view attachments, snooze messages, and open attachments without opening emails.
IONOS: Best Cheap Business Email Provider
What We Like
- Very affordable—from $1 per month
- Monthly plans available
- All plans come with a free domain name
- Advanced security features like SSL/TLS data encryption and anti-spam filters
- Specialized plan options for those wanting Microsoft Outlook business email or Gmail business email, including Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace collaboration tools
- Comparatively low storage on its base plan at just 2GB (e.g., Zoho offers 5GB on its free plan)
- Only basic email tools offered compared to niche tools you’ll find in Google Workspace, Microsoft 365, and Amazon WorkMail
- Any startup or small business looking for an easy way to get a domain name and set up business email
- Freelancers wanting a custom email address
- Small businesses on a budget
- Businesses concerned with data security
Starting price: $1 per monthVisit IONOS
IONOS is a top web hosting company that also offers premium business email for as low as $1 per month. Although its features are basic, the price is hard to beat. You can use IONOS’ web-based mail interface or easily connect your email address to your favorite email client (e.g., Outlook or Gmail).
On the cheapest plan, you get 2GB of storage, anti-spam filters, SSL/TLS certificates, a 70MB max attachment limit, and a free domain name ($12 to $15 per year value). On the premium plan, which is still very affordable at just $5 per month, you get all that plus basic collaboration tools like a shared calendar and advanced antivirus protection.
IONOS Pricing & Plan Features
|Mail Basic 1||Mail Basic 1+||Mail Business|
|Attachment Limit (Sending)||70MB||70MB||70MB|
|Attachment Limit (Receiving)||100MB||100MB||100MB|
|Collaboration Tools (Calendar, Contacts & Tasks)||✖||✖||✔|
*Extra users come with additional fees
IONOS goes on our top list for best business email services, which means all of its features are pretty solid, specifically the following:
- Affordability: IONOS’ plans are extremely cheap, starting at just $1 per month. The only other business email service that’s this cheap is Zoho Mail. But Zoho doesn’t come with the other nifty features that IONOS brings, like a free domain name and great security.
- High attachment limits: Though not as high as Zoho Mail or Microsoft 365, IONOS’ attachment limits are respectable and definitely more than enough for the average user.
- Security features: By upgrading to the $5 per month plan, you get IONOS’ premium antivirus on top of data encryption and filters—an extremely affordable solution for businesses dealing with sensitive content.
Our Expert Opinion
Although you won’t get the most advanced features on IONOS (for example, it lacks collaboration features like video conferencing), at $1 to $5 per month for its premium plans, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better (or cheaper) basic business email provider. It has everything you need to get started, includes advanced anti-virus and anti-spam protection, and even throws in great extras like a free domain name.
Bluehost is easy to use professional business email service provider. It allows you to customize mail in less effort. This web application has shared working documents and integrated video meetings.
- It offers one the best email accounts and allows you to manage your email from the web on any device.
- The software provides an intuitive, user-friendly dashboard.
- Bluehost provides 24/7 expert support.
- The software enables you to collaborate with other people via Microsoft teams.
- It automatically updates the application.
Zoho Mail is a secure email hosting service provider for your business. It allows you to set up a custom email address with no hassle. This software has a control panel that helps you to manage group aliases, add users, and set up policies to moderate business email content.
- You can integrate with Zoho CRM (Customer Relation Management) to manage your sales.
- It follows the e-Discovery process that helps you to discover emails quickly.
- Unlike most email hosting providers, Zoho offers protection against fake emails.
- It allows you to add comments, share files, manage tasks, and more.
- Zoho enables you to read mails from a mobile device.
GMX Mail is a free email service that gives all users unlimited email storage space and access to several productivity-oriented features, including Mail Collector, Address Book, Organizer, and File Storage. Users can register up to 10 free business email addresses, making GMX Mail great for businesses that would like to set up a different communication channel for each department.
Currently, GMX Mail has around 11 million active users, which isn’t much for an email service that has been around since 1997. On the other hand, the low number of active users means that finding a suitable free business email address without resorting to buying a custom domain name should be easy. Hopefully, GMX Mail will soon implement two-factor authentication to improve the security of its users, especially since most other major secure email service providers have already done so.👍🏼 Pros:
- Free mobile apps
- Support for large attachments
- Solid spam protection
- Plenty of email storage space
- Lacking customer support
- Doesn’t support two-factor authentication
- Account deactivation after 6 months of inactivity
I’ve been working with small businesses for a long time. They tend to have a difficult time finding what works best for their business without wasting time, money, and resources trying out marketing methods before they are proven to be effective.