We have put together a list of our favorite email builders for you to check out. The list includes many features such as domain and hosting, contact form integrations, drag and drop editor and more. If you’re looking for a free tool to help you build your email lists then this is perfect for you.
I’ve been a big fan of Aweber (and I’m not making money to say that) since I started online. But aren’t paid email newsletter services expensive? They sure are, sometimes as high as $500 a month. That’s the reason I built my own email builder and want to share it with you. What if you could build your own beautiful emails without breaking the bank?
Why use an email template builder?
If you are a confident HTML coder, you can build up an email template from scratch on your own. Alternatively, you can rely on a drag and drop email builder to create an email template using WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors.
Email template builders provide the following benefits:
- They’re fast and convenient. You have a set of pre-made templates and designs that you can customize to your needs by adding or removing buttons, blocks with images, text, and using colors that represent your brand.
- They’re online tools. You don’t need to install any software because the builder autosaves your sessions, allows you to come back to your templates, and re-use or edit them at any time.
- They’re editable. You can use pre-made blocks and templates, and modify the code or parameters to meet your taste and needs.
If you still think that drag and drop email builders are no good and won’t meet your expectations, take a look at the list of the tools we’ve gathered to check out their functionality.
Want to drive more engagement?
Send up to 15,000 personalized targeted emails to 500 subscribers for free every month.
Criteria for choosing the best email template builder
At first sight, all drag and drop email builders feel very similar. However, certain features and specs can make a big difference — so we want you to know what to look for.
Double-check whether the email software of your choice provides you with:
- Clear onboarding. The more intuitive it is, the faster you can jump to building your email campaign, especially in cases when you need it done yesterday.
- A rich choice of templates. The quantity matters, but it’s even more important to have diverse collections of templates for any occasion.
- HTML editor. Sooner or later, you may need to import your own HTML elements or be able to build email templates from scratch.
- Various supported file formats. Text and pictures aren’t always enough — engaging content such as GIFs and videos have a greater chance to capture recipients’ attention.
- Additional content libraries. This is an optional but extremely beneficial feature. If the email template builder of your choice gives you access to a stock library, it’ll allow you to design templates even faster.
- Compatibility and seamless exports. A great email template builder is never a stand-alone solution — it should easily become an integral part of your existing marketing toolkit.
- Reachable support. An avoidable mistake or some unexpected system downtime may cost you dozens of customers. Make sure the support team is always within your reach and ready to act quickly.
- Flexible pricing plans. You want to be sure you’re only paying for the features you really need.
Understanding these main criteria will help you make an informed decision.
The Benefits of Using an Email Template Builder
Regardless of the method you choose, email template builders offer many benefits:
- Time saving: Pre-designed email templates and drag-and-drop editors make it quick and easy to create emails.
- Better email design: Email templates provide a clear structure for your email and custom blocks make adding dynamic content easier.
- Analytics: An email template editor within an ESP often provides analytics to help you track and modify your email templates for marketing success.
Which Free Email Template Builders Are the Best?
As a novice, it can be challenging to find the right email template builder for your business.
While choosing your email building tool, you should consider these key features:
- ESP integration options
- Drag-and-drop editing
- Email template libraries
- Responsive email design capabilities
To help you compare tools and get started, we’ve compiled the 11 best free email template builders.
Moosend – Best Free Email Template Builder
Pricing: Paid plans start at $9/month, 30-day free trial (Sign up here)
Best for: eCommerce, SMEs, SaaS, Publishers, Bloggers, Agencies
Unique feature: Advanced drag-and-drop editor and rich templates
Moosend is one of the best email template software you can use to create, send, and automate your email marketing campaigns. When it comes to template creation, the tool offers an advanced drag-and-drop editor that lets you build responsive email templates effortlessly.
The email designer has an email newsletter template library with a variety of ready-made templates. The editor is also equipped with all the elements you need to create a visually stunning email campaign that converts. And if you need a quick visual, the email designer has an image picker that integrates with Stock Photos, Google drive, social media platforms, and more.
Advanced elements are also part of the builder’s functionality, allowing you to add countdown timers, personalize your emails, and add conditional blocks to create dynamic content campaigns. As for template organization, Moosend enables you to create and save your custom templates in your library. So saving valuable time and keeping everything organized is guaranteed.
Overall, Moosend’s user-friendly drag-and-drop designer will help you create beautiful newsletter templates. Start converting your audience today by signing up for a free account.
- Drag-and-drop email design software: create and manage templates
- Marketing automation: create automated workflows to target your audience
- Landing page builder: design pages that convert visitors
- Subscription forms: capture your leads with newsletter signup forms
- Email list segmentation: manage your lists and deliver better content
- Reporting and analytics: track important email marketing metrics
- Integrations: streamline your operations and boost your efficiency
Pricing starts at $9/month, giving you access not only to the template builder but also to transactional emails, marketing automation, landing pages, and more. You can also sign up for a free Moosend account to try the platform out —no credit card required.
Constant Contact – Second Best HTML Email Builder
Pricing: Paid plans start at $20/month, 60-day free trial
Best for: Governments, Educational entities, Event Organizers
Unique feature: Branded template builder
Constant Contact is an email template builder that’s ideal for new email marketers who want to create an email newsletter in a few minutes. While simple, the template builder has a few limitations, especially in the variety of styles it offers.
Moreover, the email designer also lets you create responsive HTML email templates to deliver a unique user experience. However, to do that, you’ll need some coding skills. Constant Contact also sports a branded template builder that allows you to create email marketing campaigns based on your brand.
Constant Contact will also equip you with various templates you can grab and customize based on your needs. When it comes to automation, the email service provider offers autoresponders and basic automated workflows. While you can use them to target your audience with automated sequences, the tool isn’t famous for its flexibility, which is something that many Constant Contact alternatives like Moosend and ActiveCampaign offer.
Overall, Constant Contact’s email design software is a great tool for email marketers who want a simple and fast solution.
Constant Contact Features
- Branded email templates to create branded messages
- Powerful event invitations management options
- A/B Testing tool to discover the most converting elements
- Resend to non-openers automation option
- Integrations with social media, CRM, and more
Constant Contact Pricing
Constant Contact doesn’t offer a free plan; however, it has a 60-day trial you can use to test it out. Then, the platform has two paid options starting at $20/month based on your subscribers.
Stripo – Free Responsive Email Creator
Pricing: Paid plans start at $12.50/month, free plan
Best for: SMEs, SaaS, Freelancers, Bloggers
Unique feature: Dynamic AMP validation
Stripo is a free email template builder you can use to create your next email marketing campaign. As a tool, Stripo is only a template designer, unlike Moosend and Constant Contact that also let you send emails. Nevertheless, the variety of templates and the ease of use make it a great tool to use along with your email service provider.
The drag-and-drop editor is user-friendly, allowing you to create responsive templates that look good regardless of mobile device and screen size. Another feature that strikes out is Stripo’s personal library of custom modules. This option will let you reuse your module creations, saving you time, and simplifying template creation.
The email design software also comes with an email testing tool that lets you send test emails to check how your design looks in your inbox. Apart from that, the template builder lets you validate dynamic AMP emails to ensure a seamless user experience.
Overall, Stripo is a great tool to create beautiful email templates. To land your emails into your subscribers’ inbox, though, you’ll need an ESP.
- Easy-to-use without HTML code or CSS knowledge
- Integrations with ESPs through API like Moosend
- Embed videos in templates and gifs
- VML buttons for email clients like Outlook
- SaaS applications plugin
Stripo has both a free plan and a free plugin version of the editor allowing 100 email creations/edits per month. For more, the tool offers two paid plans starting at $12.50, and three paid plans in its plugin version starting at $100, increasing the number of templates and storage you can have.
These email builders offer a great way to create some of the most popular types of email that are used by businesses. Best of all, they’re free and don’t require any extra software.