Isn’t it amazing how social media apps such as Facebook and Instagram can eat up our time even when we don’t want them to? Whether you are trying to protect your free time for family and friends, or monitoring your children’s use of these apps, BeFrugal.com has identified some free apps that can help you limit social media usage.
We have developed technology to limit the use of Social Media and entertainment apps on your computer and mobile devices. These free apps will help you limit your children’s and employee’s use of Facebook, Reddit, Instagram and other Social Media Apps.
Freedom is one of the most popular social media blocker apps available right now. It can be used on smartphones, tablets, and computers alike, and is compatible with Windows, Android, Mac/iOS, and Chrome devices. There are a handful of browser extensions that can be used alongside Freedom for additional leverage.
Freedom’s main appeal is that it allows users to set their own limits: you can block specific websites, block all websites except for specific ones you need, or block the entire internet. It also allows you to schedule specific times in which you’re allowed to use specific sites, as well as log how much time you spend on each website.
Freedom is free to use for the first seven sessions, after which you’ll be asked to pay for a subscription in order to keep using it.
It is a marvelous Android app that helps users to track and limit their Social media & smartphone usage in a few taps. The application is designed with advanced algorithms to help you manage your time wisely and connect with real life in the best way possible. It’s a fantastic phone tracker, packed with actionable features to combat digital addiction. Get a detailed summary of the phone and application usage.
Features: Social Fever
- Brilliant smartphone tracker with intuitive UI.
- Works with the latest Android OS.
- Can inform you about the phone lock and unlock numbers.
- You can set interest to balance your digital & real-life.
- Set goals to track app usage & become a Smartphone user.
- Get detailed info about your app usage.
- Keep a check on your Ear & Eye health by receiving frequent reminders to have a break while listening to music & watching the screen.
- Well-designed screen tracker that ensures you use your phone for a limited duration & instead spend your valuable time embracing hobbies.
- Water reminders to stay hydrated.
- Doesn’t occupy many phone resources.
- Works in the background.
- Doesn’t let you miss out on your real-life goals.
- Get accurate info on the number of unlocking times.
- Alerts every time your set app usage duration exceeds.
- None as such for a free Social media & app usage tracker.
Offtime is an easy to use application that helps you balance your digital devices usage app right at your fingertips. The app effortlessly works to limit social media time on your smartphone & tablet in real-time and scheduling timeouts to help you breakthrough. Let’s scour the features of Offtime:
- Tracks and compares your device usage to help you improve.
- Enables you to set personal device usage goals.
- Use the app alone or ask people to join you to OFFTIMEs.
- It provides you with daily feedback and an overview of your smartphone usage.
- Syncs across all devices.
- Choose Modes for better efficiency: Work, Family or Me Time
- Wake-up calls to curb your habits.
- Significantly reduce digital addiction.
- Issues while editing profiles or saving changes.
- Frequent updates annoy users.
- Most of the features are available with PRO.
This app hones in on mindfulness by allowing you to block what distracts you most: social media, games, and even text messages. You can also break down what you can and can’t access for specific times like Work, Family, or Me Time, making it even easier to separate work and play. The app even shows you how much you use your phone and specific apps, which might be a huge, much-needed wake-up call.
Moment tracks how much you use your phone or tablet each day, and the results can be alarming. Once you know how much you’re using certain apps, you can set daily limits and get a notification or force yourself to stop procrastinating with a flood of notifications. It’s annoying but it does work. There’s even a “Moment Family” option, which allows you to track your family’s usage—and even set limits during dinner or homework time.
For those of us who need a huge push when it comes to cutting back on screen time, Flipd may be the right app for the job. Once you lock certain apps on your phone for a set period of time, there’s no going back. You might be able to disable other apps by restarting your phone, but not Flipd, making it the ultimate distraction stopper. It might sound intense, but once you get your work done, you’ll definitely be more appreciative of the time you spent distraction-free.
iOS Screen Time
Apple’s in-built screen-time-limiting app is an excellent way to track your screen time without downloading any other apps. Built into iOS (and iPadOS), you can access it by going to Settings > Screen time. From here, you can set usage limits for all your apps and also schedule Downtime, as well as set which apps you want to allow at all times.
You can also access graphs and stats of your screen time on a daily and weekly basis, so you can see how much more or less time you’ve spent on your phone. Screen Time breaks down your app usage into categories like games, social media, etc., so you can quickly see where your time is going and adjust your usage limits accordingly. Screen Time is linked to your iCloud account, so if you toggle on the Share across devices option in the Screen Time menu, you’ll be able to see how you use apps across all your Apple devices.
If you need a little help managing your time and beating smartphone addiction, Social Fever can help. Its simple interface shows you at a glance how much time you’re spending on various apps including social media. You can easily set timers to notify you when you’ve exceeded your limits — and it’s quick and easy to get started with no need to set up an account. Just install Social Fever, then add the apps you want to track.
StayFocusd (browser extension)
StayFocusd is a free browser extension that controls the amount of time you can spend on specific websites each day. It’s currently only available for Google Chrome, meaning it won’t work on other web browsers like Firefox or Microsoft Edge. The downside to this is you can easily switch to another browser without StayFocusd installed.
StayFocusd, like its name implies, restricts the time users can spend on specific websites, with the goal of keeping you focused. After users meet their daily time limit for the sites in question, StayFocusd will lock them out of those websites for the rest of the day.
There’s also a strict “Nuclear Option” that prevents you from undoing the restrictions you set, so make sure you’re certain and don’t accidentally add on any extra zeros to the time limit (in hours).
Its site-blocking abilities are quite powerful, too – you can use it to block specific sites, as well as individual website pages, paths, and content hosted on an individual page (like photos or videos). It also syncs to all of your other devices, so that you can’t circumvent its software by opening up unwanted sites on another device.
RescueTime (app and browser extension)
RescueTime is an app and browser plug-in that automatically tracks the amount of time users spend on websites, documents, and other programs. The app is available on Windows, Android, Mac/iOS, Chrome, and Linux devices, and its browser plug-in can be used on Chrome, Firefox, and Brave. Best of all, you can add it to as many devices as you want.
RescueTime not only blocks specific websites for specific periods of time, it also allows users to take advantage of other productivity tools, such as goal-setting exercises and reports on how much time is spent on each site, in addition to the Productivity Challenge coursepack. It can also be integrated with many other applications, such as Slack and Calendar.
RescueTime is free for the first 14 days of use, after which you’ll need to pay for a subscription in order to continue using it.
A perfect blend of screen time & app usage tracker, StayFree is an excellent utility for self-control and enhancing productivity. Social media blocker works best to help you focus on important things by restricting the usage of your favorite apps. It gives time reports & statistics on your usage history so that you can improve your performance from day to day.
- View charts & stats of your app usage history.
- Sends quick notifications for overuse.
- Customize the app usage tracker with five beautiful themes.
- Widget for tracking Social media time is available.
- Temporarily blocks Social media & your other favorite Android applications.
- Displays inspiring & motivational quotes to enhance productivity and live to the fullest in real life.
- One of the highest-rated apps to beat smartphone addiction.
- Extremely fast & modern UI.
- Well-known for its accurate usage stats.
- Have to grant a lot of permissions to work properly.