I’ve got a secret for you. It’s a secret that would make SEOs, marketeers, and developers salivate. You see, I’ve been tracking the growth of Open Source Social Media Data — and let me tell you what it’s being used for. You don’t have to take it from me, though, because I exported this data into a cool chart that demonstrates what’s been going on in the community, who is going crazy with the data (you’ll be surprised!), and where the fun has been happening.
The Open Source Social Media Data collection is a set of scripts that generate, clean and provide access to anonymized datasets for basic social media research. The project, developed at the Humboldt-University Berlin within the Ethics in Internet Research Network (ERIN) Code of Conduct and based on principles of the Open Science Framework, provides an alternative to the proprietary software from Social Networks. In contrast to established providers of large social media datasets (i.e. Twtrland, Twopenage), these datasets don’t need to be purchased or distributed under a Non-Disclosure-Agreement.
The most intelligent analysis tool on Twitter
tinfoleak is more than a Twitter management tool; it is a powerful analysis twitter tool that automates the extraction of information on Twitter and facilitates subsequent analysis. It analyzes the Twitter timeline to extract great volumes of data.
tinfoleakis great for researchers who want to organize, analyze the data and extract the whole benefits from it.
It can extract the account information, user activity, protected accounts, user relations, hashtags, mentions, likes, and more.
It is licensed under CC-BY-SA-4.0 License and written in python and HTML.
- Automate the extraction of information
- Facilitates subsequent analysis for the generation of intelligence
- Taking a user identifier, geographic coordinates, or keywords
- It is included in several Linux Distributions
- Open source
Pixelfed is a photo-sharing platform that is ad-free and privacy-focused, which means no third party is making a profit from your data. Posts are in chronological order, which means there is no algorithm making distinctions between content.
Once you are set up, you can connect with other Pixelfed instances. This is known as federation, which means many instances of a software (in this case, Pixelfed) share data (in this case, pictures). When you federate with another instance of Pixelfed, you can see and interact with pictures posted to other accounts.
The project is ongoing and needs the community’s support to grow. Check Pixelfed’s GitHub page for more information about contributing.
Okuna is an open source, privacy-friendly social network. It is committed to being a positive influence on society and the environment, plus it donates 30% of its profits to worthy causes.
Mahara is an open source web application for building and sharing electronic portfolios. (The word mahara is Māori for memory or thoughtful consideration.) With Mahara, you can create a meaningful and verifiable professional profile, but all your data belongs to you rather than a corporate sponsor. It is customizable and can be integrated into other web services.
Everypost is a free social media management software that facilitates handling customizing and scheduling posts with visual content to create a greater impact on the audience. With this tool it is very easy to inspect the latest multimedia content from different social networks.
- Every Post focuses on Visual content as a strong and effective social media strategy to gain more engagements.
- Users can create groups of social networks.
- Users can share content from other sources to increase engagement metrics.
- Everypost gives users the ability to customize your content to suit the style
- Various post customization options are available, and each Post can be customized differently.
- Collaboration and managing roles and permission levels between team members.
- It allows custom scheduling of posts, previous multimedia post-viewing, and option to delete previously scheduled posts.
Social oomph falls into the category of free social media management software that has features of an advanced scheduling and publishing tool. It automates social media activities across various social networks.
- Social oomph enables the users to manage their own social posts and those of their clients, in one account.
- Scheduling at the preferred time slot.
- Creating posts and uploading multiple posts is allowed.
- There is an option to separate client data from users.
- Users can make assign associates and subordinates to their account; assign special roles and authorize admin to work on selected profiles and blogs.
- Videos/images are restricted from the bulk upload.
- Allows Tagging and grouping posts to search them easily.
- Users can create social, and blog posts from RSS feed entries automatically.
- Social oomph has a feature to set a limit on the number of the posts users post in a given interval of time.
- This prevents social media managers from posting too frequently.
- Creating posts with the help of other services such as IFTTT is possible.
- It’s content planning tools helps to implement marketing campaigns easily.
It is a powerful free social media management software for publishing and scheduling posts for increased traction on social media platforms. Its inbuilt features support social media managers to increase their reach and engagement on various platforms.
- SM hack allows assigning user roles to team members.
- Replying, commenting, and re-tweeting option.
- Admin can allocate tasks, approve conversations, and close interactions.
- Users can compose relevant content and post them to their social profiles
- Postpone posts by auto-scheduling
- It generates a report of the user’s content and publishing strategy
- It tracks and unveils your competitor’s complete social media strategy
- It creates useful and detailed team progress charts
- It analyzes patterns in your rival’s brand followers growth rate
- Learn your competition’s fan behavior to create an engaging strategy
- It creates categories for content based on contemporary popular themes
- A high performing post can be up-cycled from one platform to other
Social publishing simplified
Socioboard is a social media management tool that focuses on content marketing and streamlines its social media operations. It aims to help brands and businesses to manage their social media, leading companies in their digital space to create plans and schedule their content.
- Managing multiple social accounts made easy
- Detailed analytics to make your stay ahead of the curve
- Simplified RSS feed
- Auto-Email reports
- Team Collaboration
- Save time with flexible scheduling
- Manage multiple social accounts easily.
- It helps you to stay ahead with top-class analytics
Best platform for studying media ecosystems
Media Cloud is a media analysis platform that promises to bring you more leads with less effort. It offers three tools explorer, topic mapper, source manager for studying media ecosystems.
It is designed to aggregate, analyze, deliver and visualize information, answering complex quantitative and qualitative questions about the content of online media.
Media Cloud is used by Journalists to by tracking and examine the key topics published by specific sources, foundations, academics, and researchers by allows researchers to track how stories and ideas spread through media, content creators, and non-profit organizations.
- Open source
- The track news cycle in many countries
- Understanding trends in mainstream
- It used to strategically design their advocacy and communications efforts
- Investigate the impact of specific stories
- Access our raw data through the public API
Zoho Social is a free social media management software that is used to manage multiple social media platforms, unlimited schedule posts, and track keywords from a single dashboard. Zoho Social is a social media suite that has all the features required to build a brand reputation in social media. In its free edition, it lets one user work on one brand. It also provides URL shortener & zShare Browser extension in its free version.
- Its SmartQ feature can predict the most active time of your audience.
- Posting in such unique time slots can be very beneficial for social media managers.
- Managers can create a spreadsheet to create and schedule multiple posts for days in advance.
- Create spreadsheets to track reviews, keywords, or comments.
- Facebook Lead Ads account can be integrated with Zoho Social to monitor leads in real-time.
- Monitoring ad campaigns’ performance to drive leads is easy with this feature.
- It has an inbuilt ticketing option that converts social media updates into tickets.
- Each ticket can be responded separately to deliver support to your social media followers.
- It provides the entire context of a previous conversation to respond to everyone who interacts with your brand on social media.
- Assigning roles to your team members and determining the access they will have to admin rights is possible.
- Know the demographics of the audience and the content they are interacting.
- Use analytics to customize reports for multiple social channels.
- Options to make reports visually appealing with colorful graphs and charts are available.
- Lets user schedule posts and automate reports.
- zShare browser plugin curates interesting articles that the user is viewing.
Media data is a new open source media monitoring project I’ve been working on. It aims to give journalists and researchers access to media data at a global scale by providing an easy method of aggregating social media data. The platform has several advantages over its competitors: