If your business is relatively small and employing SEO experts in Australia is not an option, you need to take the initiative upon yourself since it pays off way more than you might expect at first.
I’ve been hearing a lot of people talking about local search lately. That is the process of optimizing your business for location-based searches. This means that when someone searches for something near your business, you pop up as the number one result on Google — ahead of your competitors. It’s a fairly basic principle and one you probably already know. But why and how exactly does it work and what does it mean for you? I put together a small guide with basic information, tips, and advice that will tell you everything you need to know about local search optimization.
The Important SEO Tips for Small Businesses in Australia
Do you want to improve your business visibility online? Ever wondered why everyone prompts you to improve your SEO marketing techniques? It is because this technique is the foolproof way for you to tap into an ever wider customer market, knowing no geographical boundaries or limits.
Search engine optimization techniques are the magic formula that lets you attract, draw in and ensure customer conversions, and make the success of your business uniquely. As the popularity and impact of SEO techniques are gaining momentum and fame, it is fast becoming the foolproof way to reach out to and penetrate a large potential market, and enjoy business and success for your company.
To compete in a highly aggressive Australian market, you must play all your cards right. Remember, even if your business has a good website and a social presence, but lacks the search engine optimization techniques to boost its business, then you will have no chance to gain any visibility in the market.
Want to know great tips on how to build up, develop and improve on your search engine optimization techniques? Then read on…
Recognize SEO Importance
The first step is to make sure that you understand how important SEO is for your business. You need to know how relevant it is to the success of your business. To sum up the necessity of having SEO, you just need to understand that with no effort in this field, you won’t be able to attract many visitors from the different search engines.
With no SEO methods, search engines will not able to categorize or rank your website for any business-relevant keywords.
Adapt and Accommodate New Algorithm Updates
Do you want to retain the good rankings of your website? For this, you will need to adapt your SEO strategies. With search engines evolving, you will need to modify your SEO techniques according to the new trends or risk becoming invisible to the customers again.
Get Help from Your Very Own Google Expert
Do you need any help on how to implement effective SEO techniques for good ranking? Then get answers to all your technical queries from the experts, in this case, Google itself! Watch their Webmaster help videos and guidelines videos, to get a good idea of how the technical aspect of SEO work is carried out effectively.
Avoid Google Penalties At All Costs
You know that Google enjoys a major share of the search market, right? Then don’t risk any penalties from the search engine, by making sure that you fulfill all requirements to the letter.
If you get a penalty from Google, then it will have a major impact on your efforts to enjoy good search results. You might even suffer long-term by losing customer traffic on your site.
OPTIMISE PAGE TITLES AND DESCRIPTIONS
Arguably one of the most overlooked search engine optimization (SEO) tips, page titles, and meta descriptions define how ranking pages display within search engine results. Ensuring all pages have a well-optimized title and description will go a long way to maximizing organic (SEO) visibility, click-through rate (CTR), and therefore SEO traffic. The following guidelines are general best practices:
• Get the length right: Generally, search engines display only the first 50-60 characters of a page title and 150-160 characters for page descriptions.
• Unique for each page: A best practice often communicated within most search engine guidelines. Ensure all pages are unique and reflect the content of that specific page.
• Use the right keywords within titles: Title tags can help you get better search rankings if you optimize them with the right keywords. (If you don’t have access to any SEO tools use common sense here – for example, don’t call your home page ‘Home’.)
• Optimise CTR: Remember the goal is to stand out amongst the crowd with the search results. Try including a unique selling point (USP) offer or a call to action (CTA) to entice searchers to click through.
Editing page titles and descriptions are an essential feature that most website content management systems (CMS’s) will support. Make sure to contact your website developer or provider if you’re not sure how to make these edits.
GAIN VALUABLE LINKS
Search engines like Google use inbound links from other websites as a popularity signal that will help increase your organic visibility. While there are many rules and guidelines when it comes to links and how value is measured, SME’s will often overlook the most basic opportunities. At Indago we call these “Quick Wins”:
• Speak to partners and suppliers: Most SMEs will have existing relationships that will often be more than willing to provide a backlink. It could be a simple as a link from a page on your partner or supplier’s website, or perhaps you can get a bit more creative and write content for their blog by way of a guest post.
• Capitalise on brand mentions: SEO specialists often refer to this tactic as unlinked brand mentions. A simple method where you search for instances where your brand is mentioned on the internet but not linked to. You will find that people are much more receptive to linking to you if they already have mentioned you on their website.
• Popular business directories: Mostly free, there are a few that you have likely come across before (think Yellow Pages, Hot Frog, and Yelp). Not only are these directories a great way to boost brand awareness, but they often provide a link back to your website.
The essential Search Engine Optimisation guide for all small businesses in Australia.
- Understand and research what your customers are searching for.
- Learn how to optimise your content for greater user experience and excellent SEO.
- Learn techniques for getting high-quality links to your website.
- Learn technical aspects of your site that your competitors probably don’t know about.
SEO for Australian Small Business is essential reading for anyone running or starting a business in Australia.
We’ve written this book based on our conversations with hundreds of business owners over hundreds of workshops over the last three years.
Accessible, entertaining, and insightful, SEO for Australian Small businesses will put you on track to increase your search engine rankings, and ultimately, your sales.
Throughout the book, you’ll learn proven techniques that will rank your website higher on Google, Bing, Yahoo, or any other search engine.
You’ll learn how SEO works, from keywords to link building, as well as technical techniques your competitors probably aren’t using. We’ll guide you through the jargon and explain SEO in a user-friendly way so you can be empowered by your new knowledge.
RAISE YOUR BRAND AWARENESS
Got something to say? Share your knowledge and experience by having your content published on Business Australia, reaching thousands of Australian businesses. To become one of our authors, simply join Business Australia as a free member and submit your content.
OPTIMISE GOOGLE MY BUSINESS
Google My Business should be a focal point for any small business. It is free, easy to update, and can make a significant impact on SEO traffic.
• Before you can do anything, you must ensure you have claimed and verified your business, head over to Google My Business to get started.
• Be sure to fill out as much information as possible and include photos and videos to enhance your listing(s).
• Your category selection is super important. Be sure to choose the correct categories for your business.
• Ensure to ask existing clients/customers to review your business.
• Take the time to create questions and answers.
A well-optimized Google My Business will ensure you dominate brand searches and maximize exposure for local searches within your area.
Bing has an equal service called Bing Places for Business which is often overlooked, head over to Bing Places for more information.
PROVIDE FRESH CONTENT
Search engines see websites as living, breathing entities. A dormant site left untouched for months or worse yet years on end will do you no favors in the eyes of Google. Creating fresh, relevant, and quality content will ensure you grow your organic search traffic. Here are a few simple ideas that will help get you going:
• Start a blog: Most website CMS’s will have an option to allow blogging. Develop content you know your users will find useful like guides, tutorials, industry news, and opinion pieces. The possibilities are endless.
• Create and update FAQs: If people are asking questions offline, likely, they are also asking the same questions online. Keeping an up-to-date FAQ page can be a great way to acquire new customers, close sales, and save time answering repetitive questions.
• Videos: You will be surprised how far you can get with a phone and some creativity. Videos have proven to be one of the most engaging mediums for content and using services like YouTube will allow you to publish them on your site for free!
You’ve finally made the plunge and decided to start your own business. You’re a small business owner now, but how do you attract new customers? And once you’ve landed a client, how do you keep them coming back for more?
There are hundreds of ways to rank well in Google for your target search term, but there are some that will help you rank better than the rest. Why? Because they’re demand signal ranking factors. That means they are search terms that people are actively searching for.