Social media is a broad and powerful tool. It allows you to build relationships and connect with people, but it’s also possible that you’re new to the concept of social media and aren’t sure how to use social media for your business. If this is the case, we can help educate you on these useful and user friendly tools and show you how they can be used to aid your business! We can introduce you to the many different types of social media and help you find the right social media platform for your business. We want to show you how this growing and changing social medium can be used to help your business grow and flourish!
As a social media marketer, you’ll promote your company’s products and services on various platforms. You’ll also use consumer data to reach, influence, and engage consumers. Sounds simple enough, right? But how do you get your start? That can be an intimidating question, but you might be more prepared than you think. After all, you’ve been marketing your personal brand while building your own social media following. With a few pointers, you’ll be able to round out your media marketing skills.
Developing Basic Skills; Focus on three main social media platforms. Though the opposite may seem true, specializing in one or two specific platforms is better than generalizing in many different ones. The three most important platforms for advertising are Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Social media platforms are frequently changed, causing once effective marketing techniques to be less useful. Staying updated on many platforms will be much more difficult than a focused one or two.
- Stay abreast of updates by subscribing to media marketing blogs or signing up for platform newsletters, like Facebook’s Marketing Partner Weekly Update.
- Look up online resources to learn marketing techniques for your chosen platform(s). Many social media marketing gurus offer advice on their YouTube channels or Facebook pages.
- What works and what doesn’t depends on your industry, platform, and target audience. It is important to constantly test different kind of posts to stay ahead of the competition. Research your customer base; Different industries will require different marketing strategies. You’ll need to choose the industry you’ll become a marketer in, like technology, fashion, or automotive. Look at the forums on major company websites in your industry. What are people talking about? Use these conversations to learn about your customer base. Create a Reddit account and subscribe to subreddits in your industry to identify and monitor relevant topics to your customer base.
- Research doesn’t have to be boring! Make color-coded spreadsheets with Google Spreadsheets or Excel to list topic areas in your industry. Use this list to improve variety in your posts. Observe the marketing strategies of successful companies; Follow several companies you admire and follow them on your chosen media platform(s). Take notes on their marketing techniques. Ask yourself, “How could I duplicate this? What would I do differently? How would I use this to promote a product?” Ask yourself without hesitation – talking to yourself is completely normal.Bookmark or screenshot your favorite advertising campaigns from the companies you follow. Look to these for inspiration in your own advertising.
- Set up an RSS feed to follow advertising related news from websites like AdAge, PSFK, Creativity Magazine, and eMarketer.
Tools for better social media marketing
1. Discoverly – find new followers
You won’t make much of a dent without a decent following. You need people to share and engage with your content. That’s how you build brand awareness.
Buffer’s Kevan Lee wrote a great piece on how to get your first 1,000 followers. For every social network, you need:
- A complete and interesting profile
- Links to make your profiles easy to find
- Great content
- Great people to interact with.
The Discoverly Chrome extension will help with that last point. When you view a person’s social media or email profile, it’ll show you their other accounts. Suppose you follow someone on Twitter. Hover over the Discoverly icon, and you’ll see all their other public social networks. Use it to build stronger connections with customers, clients, and colleagues. Follow your Twitter customers on their LinkedIn and Google+ profiles. When they follow back, you’ve turned a single social user into three.
2. BuzzSumo – share great content;
Once you’ve found your followers, you need to make them happy. This means finding and sharing excellent content. You should also share other people’s work. BuzzSumo makes it easy to find the best content around. BuzzSumo is a simple tool for researching your industry. Search for keywords and get a list of the most popular content that day, week, month, etc. Share and comment on these posts to interact with other writers, and cement yourself as a voice in your industry. You can also see what’s popular on specific social networks. If certain topics are more popular on one network than another, build that into your sharing strategy.
3. Rafflecopter – host a competition
Competitions get social media users engaged. Plus, they’re dead simple.
Our friend Rob Brooks says social media competitions need:
- Clear contest objectives
- The right competition format
- Well-defined rules
- Time- and prize-limits
- A great look and feel
Rafflecopter calls itself “the world’s easiest way to run a giveaway.” In three minutes, you can run a contest across multiple social platforms. It lets you add multiple ways to enter the contest, from following you on Twitter to signing up for your newsletter. You can assign different point values to different entry options. It’s a quick and easy way to entertain users and collect lead information. All for free!
Social media marketing is a powerful way to reach your target audience. These tools make it easier to share your message, build relationships and. Social media marketing is a powerful way to reach your target audience. These tools make it easier to share your message, build relationships and keep people up-to-date without having to send a newsletter. Social media marketing is an effective way to reach your audience. Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter can help you build relationships and strengthen existing bonds.