We’ll help you figure out which editing tool is best for your needs, be it iMovie or Final Cut Pro. We’ve also got some of the most popular YouTubers of 2016 on board, who will each let you know about their editing tool of choice.
Commonly used on youtube are editing tools such as ‘how it’s made’ series. It is a series of videos that show how materials are created to make an object. None of these videos seem to be scripted, they are done on the fly. None of the narrators use filler words for lack for ideas or instructions instructions. They all have excellent diction.
It is an excellent free video editing software that can work on Windows, OS X, and Linux. The shortcut has the same principle of work as its expensive analogs – you place video and audio fragments on the timeline and apply effects and captions. Then you can convert the result in a video file.
First, they designed this app for Linux users, and only after a few years of work decided to create versions for Mac and PC users. That’s why the Shortcut interface is a little bit strange. They have many intuitive features, such as dragging a file to import them into your project.
- Customizable menu;
- A wide selection of modifying options and filters;
- Mobility of tasks, for example, return to any stage of editing;
- Automation of all work processes for user requests;
- Configuration on multiple monitors.
- It is not possible to preview filters.
It is a popular video editor, which can easily modify the video, adjust colors, and process audio. A unique set of features for video editing allows processing any type of multimedia content in the original format on desktop PCs and mobile devices.
This software can be used for iOS, macOS, and Windows. You can subscribe just to Premiere Pro or get it as part of the Adobe package. They offer 360 VR and 4K support that makes it a professional tool to edit any kind of video. It’s the most complete tool in this list for both experts and newbies.
- Plenty of customizable features, options, and plugins;
- Very convenient user interface;
- Ability to export a finished project in any of the existing formats;
- Integration with other Adobe products.
The easiest free video editing software for intermediate editors
OpenShot’s easy-to-use user interface makes it a great video editing program for beginners. While more complex tools may offer more editing components, OpenShot’s intuitive interface and minimal design are perfect for simple editing.
OpenShot is one of the most efficient free editing programs for small businesses and is best for clip resizing, scaling, trimming, snapping, and rotation. It also offers credit scrolling, frame stepping, time mapping, audio editing, and real-time preview.
- Unlimited layers for watermarks, background videos, and audio tracks
- Customizable title-card templates
- Drag-and-drop functionality for easily adding video, audio, or image files
- Digital video effects, including brightness, gamma, hue, greyscale, and chroma key compositing for green-screen effects
- Powerful key-frame animation capabilities for creating animated videos
Available for: Windows, Mac, and Linux
If you are looking for elegance and simplicity, iMovie is the best choice for you. It is one of the most popular editors for Mac OS, iPhone, and iPad. It includes eight themes with music, transitions, and titles, ten video filters created by Apple, and a lot of different effects: image in the image, slow motion, split-screen, and fast forward.
The application also has tools for creating soundtracks. One of the best features in iMovie is their ‘green screen’ That allows you to place your subject in any exotic location, let’s say Bali or Greenland.
- User-friendly interface;
- A rich selection of tools for working with sound;
- Theater mode for sharing video with various devices from Apple;
- Support for working with 4K video.
Best professional free video editing software with 3D creation suite
Blender is a free, open-source 3D creation suite of free tools for video editing. It includes features to help model and render 3D animations. The software is a collaborative creation of hundreds of developers from around the world. The huge community of users gives Blender’s software an extensive group of tools.
Blender is designed as a 3D animation suite but comes with a functional video editor that should be enough for most users’ needs. It can also tackle more complex edits, like video masking, making Blender a flexible video editor for both novice and experienced users and an excellent option for more advanced projects that may involve 3D animation.
- Path-tracer engine for realistic rendering of animated objects
- Advanced rendering processes to speed up the saving and exporting of your project
- Option to code game logic into the software for video game development
- Advanced character animation tools for realistic kinematics
- Extensive library of visual effects and vignettes
Available for: Windows, Mac, and Linux
Lightworks is a free software option for video editing tools. The program works on Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is a perfect platform for camera operators, editors, sound engineers, bloggers. It can be used in advertising and for personal purposes, for creating home video archives and filling social networks.
Lightworks is a perfect option for small or no-budget projects. You can import and render your footage on the background, drag editing windows around, and set custom keyboard shortcuts to simplify your working process.
- Cross-platform feature;
- 3D video processing;
- Multichannel support;
- The ability to edit and crop the timeline.
- Hard-to-understand editor management system.
Movie Maker 10
Best free video editing software for Windows 10
Movie Maker 10 is a convenient free video editing software for Windows for people looking to go back to basics. It’s great for making quick edits to short video clips you need ready right away.
Movie Maker 10 comes with a free version that includes its suite of video and picture editing tools as well as the ability to add captions with customizable fonts and colors.
- Auto-preview tool for edits and effects
- Auto-movie options for creating customizable cuts of your video clips
- Animation tab to easily add music, titles, and credits
Available for: Windows
Nearly every video creator knows that video editing is a necessity, but few know that free programs offer the same professional grade features used by big name editing tools. Adding a background track, animating text and music, and creating custom graphics is a prerequisite for becoming a successful Youtube entrepreneur.